If you are using batteries in your business here’s what you need to know about their disposal
- It is illegal for battery producers to send batteries to incineration or landfill,
- Batteries contain toxic metals such as nickel and cadmium which pose a significant risk to health and safety.
- Inappropriate disposal could have serious negative implications for the environment.
- Batteries must be disposed of by a registered contractor who is certified in dealing with this type of waste.
- Batteries are classed as hazardous waste.
- At the end of their life batteries should be placed in a container which is used for this waste stream only, this should be clearly labelled.
- Labels with symbols showing the metal content of the battery waste also need to be clearly marked on the containers.